Kevin R. Stone, MD
Dr. Kevin R. Stone is a pioneer of advanced orthopaedic surgical and rehabilitation techniques to repair, regenerate, and replace damaged cartilage and ligaments.
He is an orthopaedic surgeon at The Stone Clinic and also the chairman of the Stone Research Foundation. He lectures around the world as an expert in cartilage and meniscal growth, replacement, and repair and holds over 40 U.S. patents on novel inventions to improve healthcare.
Dr. Stone uses anabolic therapy and other biologic techniques to work to preserve the natural biology of a joint, helping people avoid or delay an artificial joint replacement.
At The Robotic Joint Center, Dr. Stone uses advanced robotic-assisted surgery techniques to ensure that partial and total knee replacements result in precise alignment and a more natural feeling knee.
Dr. Stone was trained at Harvard University in internal medicine and orthopaedic surgery and at Stanford University in general surgery. His fellowship was in research at the Hospital for Special Surgery and in knee surgery in Lake Tahoe. He is a physician for Smuin Ballet and has served as a physician for the U.S. Ski Team, the U.S. Pro Ski Tour, the Honda Ski Tour, the Jeep 48 Straight Tour, the Old Blues Rugby Club, Lawrence Pech Dance Company, Marin Ballet, the modern pentathlon at the U.S. Olympic Festival, the United States Olympic Training Center, and now for the newly launched World Pro Ski Tour. He is a weekly columnist for the San Francisco Examiner which becomes a blog at www.stoneclinic.com/blog.
Dr. Stone enjoys skiing, windsurfing, and biking.
"I am an orthopaedic surgeon, clinician scientist, inventor and founder of multiple companies. I divide my life between clinical practice, nonprofit research and for-profit research. My clinical and research focus is on biologic joint repair and regeneration for the knee, shoulder and ankle to keep injured people and people with arthritis active. I have been fortunate to rebuild world-class Olympic athletes and weekend warriors and have learned from each person that injuries are opportunities to improve yourself. The best recoveries come from those who see themselves when injured as athletes in training and not patients in rehab."
Appointments & Memberships
- Orthopaedic Surgeon (private practice) 1988 - Present
The Stone Clinic, San Francisco, CA
- Founder and Chairman 1996 - Present
Stone Research Foundation, San Francisco, CA
- Attending Staff 1988 - Present
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
- Attending Staff 2016 – Present
St. Francis Memorial Hospital, San Francisco, CA
- Attending Staff 2017 – Present
Fremont Surgery Center, Fremont, CA
- Feature Columnist 2014 – 2020
San Francisco Examiner
- Advisory Panel 2010 - Present
espnW at ESPN
- Head Physician 2018 - Present
World Pro Ski Tour
- Review 2017 - Present
Journal of International Medical Research American Journal of Sports Medicine Cartilage
- Expert Contributor 2017 - Present
Dr. Kevin Stone is a member of the following professional medical and clinical research organizations:
- AAOS - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- ABOS - American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- ACLSG – The Anterior Cruciate Ligament Study Group
- ACSM - American College of Sports Medicine
- CMA – California Medical Association
- COA – California Orthopaedic Association
- ESSKA - European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- ICRS – International Cartilage Regeneration & Joint Preservation Society
- ISAKOS - The International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- MTSG – Meniscus Transplant Study Group
- ORS - Orthopaedic Research Society
- SFMMS – San Francisco Marin Medical Society
- SICOT – Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (International Society of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology)
- WOA – Western Orthopaedic Association